Spring Wardrobe Building: Burda 7250/115

Hello and welcome to parts three and four of my Me Made May experiment, four garments in four weeks. This week, it's a two for one deal, two items, one post - efficiency! And also, last minute!




Let's begin with the trousers, shall we? Behold Burda 7250. I've been looking forward to some patterned pleated front casual pants for a long time, and decided to take the plunge. Sara was good enough to show me the link to this pattern on the German site, since my local pattern shop was fresh out, and I found some great fabric at Fabricland, so away I went.

I have made a similar (unblogged, sorry!) pair of Burda trousers in the past, and I'm pretty sure they were a size 42, so that's what I used this time. Well, I should have sized down, and by the time I realized the error of my ways, the pockets were in, and I just didn't have the heart to go back. I attempted to take in the excess at the centre back waist & seat, but i just couldn't get rid of enough excess fabric, and I am left with some unsightly drag lines and a baggy bum. 



Side seam - not at sides!

These are not gang signs.  High waisted alert!

In other pattern notes, I shortened the rise by about 1 1/4", and the waistband still covers my navel! And I have a long rise! Also, uncharacteristically, I made no attempt to pattern match from the front to the back. Sigh. So, not an amazing garment. I'm calling this a wearable muslin. They are comfy, and I probably will wear them around the house this summer, but I can't help but be disappointed.

The fabric, however, I love. It's from a Japanese batik collection currently at Fabricland in with the quilting cottons. Most of the patterns were more floral, this was the most geometric pattern. I suspect this is actually the wrong side of the fabric, but it's the side I liked best. 

Now, on to the more successful half of this outfit, Burda blouse 115 from the 04/2014 magazine. 




This is a really fun top, with overlapping front panels (yes, they largely stay put, as long as it's not too windy). You can find the pattern here, and some really lovely versions at Top Notch and Little Betty Sews

Of course, after the sizing issues with the pants, I double checked the measurements of this pattern and chose size 38. Naturally, I could have easily made up the 40, but although snug, it fits, so let's just leave it there. The only change I made to the pattern was to lengthen it by about 2" after comparing it to some favourite tops in my closet. I wanted it to cover the waistband of my jeans, since I'm not interested in baring my stomach! If I were to make another one, I would size up, for sure. And possibly use the centre back seam, which I overlooked in the pattern cutting layout.



The fabric is a nice medium weight cotton chambray via my stash, originally from King Textiles. I had 2 yards of 45" wide fabric, and it was the perfect amount. I had to piece my neck binding, but I don't have that annoying half yard left over as with so many projects!

All in all, I think my mini-challenge was a success, I have 3 wearable garments and 1 pair of house pants to show for my efforts, and I have been keeping up with me-mades 5 days a week. As I've said earlier, documenting was just not in the cards this year, you'll just have to trust me!

The wearing tally for my new pieces so far:

Butterick 5826 white blouse - 3 wears - I can see this one going the distance, for sure.
Burda 7250 blue trousers - 2 wears (both out of the house, maybe there is hope yet?)
Vogue 1247 pink skirt - 1 wear last weekend!
Burda chambray top - worn yesterday. 

I've enjoyed seeing everyone's Me Made goodness on Flickr and Pinterest, and the weekly round ups - even though I wasn't taking photos, I was still inspired by yours!

On to summer sewing next!

Comments

Popular Posts