Say hello to V8805, round two. Last spring, I made up this pattern in fabric that I just love, but wasn't happy with the final dress. (See here, worn once, now a top.) However, I really felt the pattern had some potential, given a different fabric, and here we are!
This is the pattern straight out of the envelope, with only one minor change - I added piping between the middle and bottom panels to differentiate them. I didn't want to use a third fabric, but I did want a bit of visual interest. I was even thinking of adding pockets in the seam, (a la Sallie) but it's a bit low, and I didn't feel like moving it up. And unlike many dress patterns, this one is as long as it seems on the envelope. I usually find myself adding a few inches to the length, but not this time.
I threw caution to the wind and decided to make this dress in a knit. I had the black fabric left over from an earlier project, it's a medium weight double knit. The grey I bought for this dress, and though you can't see it in the photos, it has a very narrow black horizontal stripe. It's very subtle, but it does give the grey fabric a bit more life. I didn't size down, so it's a bit roomy under the arms, but it doesn't bother me.
As for the back neck closure, mine is fake! There is a button, but it's purely decorative. I bound the neckline instead of turning the strip to the inside. It looks neater, and gives the neckline stability. I finished the sleeves and hem with a straight stretch stitch, which I don't think I've ever used before.
My winter wardrobe is fairly heavy on the neutrals, so I've been trying to wear some brighter accessories - I've had these beads for a while now, and they go together really well - bonus! I think I've got a real wardrobe workhorse here - I finished it on Boxing Day, and I think it's been worn three times already.