So, lately I've come to the conclusion that I actually have enough clothing, which has lead to some more intentional sewing. I was inspired by the #MakeNine hashtag, and made myself a Pinterest board to keep me honest. I've had a bullet list on my phone for ages, but I find the images helpful. Also, nine items is a reasonable goal for both my available time and mental energy. I may well make more than nine garments for myself this year, but it's nice to have a goalpost.
First on my list was a new winter-ish jacket or coat. I've made it through the last few winters with my trusty basic black parka, and I have to level with you, I really like it. It's lightweight, keeps me warm, and I don't worry about it getting grubby - there is a lot of schlepping and public transport in my life. However, there are times when I would like my outerwear to be a bit more... elegant. And also slightly more fun. Enter the Burdastyle Illusion Jacket. I'm drawn to anything grey (shocker!), and I liked the simple design with the "illusion" sleeves - the black sleeves are part of the coat, they are attached at the armhole. The asymmetrical front closes with three giant snaps, for a nice clean finish.
|Not too bad...|
What on earth are those sleeve/shoulder things doing?? The armholes are very large, very low, and kind of nonsensical, as the inner sleeves are designed to be closer fitting. It looks ok from the front, but the back - yikes! It's obvious to me now that I should have a) made a muslin, and then b) sized down through the shoulder/armhole area. The upper short sleeves really stand out from the body, especially under the arms - and I used lining on the inside, they were supposed to be a double layer of wool! My photographer has also suggested compressing them from the top seam, as well.
I also struggled a bit with what to wear underneath for these photos, which is probably not a good sign in a coat. I do wear a lot of scarves, but this neckline is really open. It looked particularly ridiculous with a collared shirt, but you'll just have to take my word for it.
So there you have it, a wardrobe sewing fail! Although it was nice to to a bit of light tailoring for a change...